The Brigus South Website

Brigus South 10 years ago

 
View Larger Map

An ancient fishing settlement located in a small settlement located in a small cove between Tors Cove and Cape Broyle on the Southern Shore.  The earliest extant record of Brigus South is a map naming it Abra de Brigas, which translates as "the harbor or roadstead of tumults, confusion."

It has been assumed that the earliest settlers of the community came to Brigus South via the earliest colonies of Ferryland and Cape Broyle, and that there was permanent settlement in the community by 1700.  In the community's cemetery, which is among the oldest surviving on the Southern Shore, the oldest gravestone is dated 1798.

After 1800 a permanent population, partly the outgrowth of the first year round British settlement of the 1700s and partly made up of a new wave of Irish and English migration to Newfoundland, caused a new phase of settlement and growth in Brigus South.  People that settled there went by the names of Power, Gregory, Doyle, Hayes, Battcock, and Walsh, names of the people who still live in Brigus South today.

In the 1960s the name of Brigus South was changed to Hillsdale to distinguish it from Brigus, Conception Bay.  Local residents refused to acknowledge the new name and it was officially changed back to Brigus South six or seven years later.

The economy of Brigus South relied almost entirely on the inshore cod fishery.  Because of the northern cod moratorium made in 1992 fishermen now rely on other types of sea creatures to make a living, mostly crab and scallops.  Other people that live in Brigus South commute to other communities or to St. John's for work.  Several people own cabins and small cottages in Brigus South and usually stay for the weekend or for an entire summer.

More information on Wikipedia

Visit Brigus South on Facebook